THE SPAHIS

DSC_6151b+-800x600-.jpg

WRECK COURSE

icons8-sous-marin-100.png

Its history...

The Spahis was a steamer 52.8 meters long and 7.45 meters wide , launched at La Seine in 1864.
It belonged to the Compagnie de Navigation Mixte until 1874, then successively to the Fraissinet company (until 1883) and the Morelli company until its
sinking on October 9, 1887 .
In the middle of the night, blinded by the storm, it collides with
Fourmigue Island . It slowly sinks through the bow, dragging a few passengers with it. It is difficult to quantify the exact number of human losses to date. An estimate reports about twenty people missing out of the hundred occupants of the ship. The survivors, who found refuge on the islet, will be rescued the next morning by the fishermen of Lavandou .