top of page

Le Grec





Its history

Built in 1912 by SB Dundee Ltd sites, the Sagona measuring 54 m long and 8.5 m wide and gauged 808 tons. It changed owners many times: 1914 Reid Newfoudland Co., 1924 British Government, 1941 Culliford's Association Lines, 1943 Zanatti SS. Co. Ltd.
On December 3, 1945, the Sagona struck a floating mine and sank in a few minutes the bow literally torn off. The results of the sinking are 2 dead and 1 sailor missing.
The Sagona and the Donator have many similarities:
- Date of the sinking: 10/11/45 for the Donator and 3/12/45 for the Greek
- Cause of the sinking: Floating mine
- Place of the shipwreck: South-East of Porquerolles a few hundred meters from each other
- Condition of the wreck: Bow detached by the explosion
- Cargo: wine
The name of the Greek comes from the following fact:
the wreck was forgotten for some time, and it was not known what the name of this building was. When the Navy sent divers to observe it, they discovered documents written in Greek , and renamed the Sagona as well. Since then the name stuck. This is how the Greek is better known today than the Sagona, just as the Donator is better known than the Prosper Schiaffino.


donator wreck course

The Greek is in two pieces, but unlike the Donator these are much more spaced.
The descent is done in open water. The visit can begin with the stern and in particular with
the propeller at 47 m which is the deepest part of the wreck. Then we go back to the poop at 40 m which, as we see in the diagram, is covered with a kind of cladding. Just after we fall on the hatch which is open, and allows to descend into the hold. This one is empty and without much interest. On leaving, a short stop is necessary to contemplate the enormous winch of the Greek . Progressing towards the break we arrive on the superstructures of the cabins and lounges in which we can enter. We will cross the passageways at 35 m which are absolutely sumptuous, to lead to the fireplace . Although damaged, it is of a respectable size. We also feel very small next door. On starboard there are two coat racks, one of which faces the chimney. Then we come to the break that allows you to enter the wreck, always keeping in mind the risks that this may entail.
The bow is 60-80 meters north of the stern. It is at the same depth as the propeller is 47 m. The mast is still there, but as with the Donator recently, it is lying on the port side. This part, apart from the fauna that lives there, is not of very great interest. A visit to the entire wreck is possible but will depend mainly on the current conditions, the training of the divers and the reserve of air available.

The gorgons are very numerous and have conquered every corner of the Greek. As for the Donator, as soon as the headlights come on, the previously dark blue gorgonians turn into a real red and yellow firework display.
The fauna is not to be outdone. The schools of
anthias and castagnoles are of rare density. The bugs are so numerous that you have the impression of seeing spikes of money.
The holds are perhaps home to fewer
congers than the Donator, but they are found on the other hand on the bow. It is not uncommon to see a few groupers. Red mullet, scorpion fish, capons and other morays are also part of the game.

donator wreck course
bottom of page